Now in its fifth year, Beers Made By Walking (BMBW) returns to the Pacific Northwest with a new series of public hikes with brewers in three distinct regions of Oregon. BMBW invites brewers to go on nature hikes and make beer inspired by plants found on the trail. The 2015 series of hikes take place in Bend/Central Oregon, the Eugene area, and in Portland’s Forest Park.
Each hike is free and open to the public. Hikers are accompanied by a local brewer who must create a hike-inspired beer later this summer. These place-based beers serve as drinkable, landscape portraits of the trails that are walked. In the late Summer and Fall, the beers are served at special tapping events throughout Oregon, and proceeds benefit the environmental organizations that lead the hikes. Below is a list of hikes for the upcoming season:
Bend and Central Oregon Hikes
BMBW has teamed up again with the Oregon Natural Desert Association in Bend to host a series of three hikes in past and present wilderness proposal areas. Brewers attending hikes include Crux Fermentation Project, Worthy Brewing, and Deschutes Brewery. The first hike is coming up on Wednesday, May 20th. Registration for hikes opens one month before the hike date. Please see details about each hike on the registration page.
- May 20, 9am – 2pm – Register Here – Scout Camp Hike with Crux
- June 12, 9am – 2pm – Register Here – Badlands Hike with Worthy Brewing
- July 24, 8am – 5pm – Register Here – Black Mountain Hike with Deschutes Brewery
After working with Eugene-area breweries for three years BMBW is pleased to to team up with McKenzie River Trust (MRT) to launch the first Eugene-focused Beers Made By Walking program. MRT will lead three hikes with six breweries and one cidery. Hike registration goes live approximately one month before the hike date, and the first hike is on June 4.
- June 04, 6-8pm – Register here – Berggren Watershed Conservation Area with:
Claim 52 Brewing, Elk Horn Brewery, Falling Sky Brewing, and Viking Braggot Company
- June 27 – Info here – During the Living River Celebration on Green Island with:
Agrarian Ales and Oakshire Brewing
- July 30, 6-8pm – Register here – Hagen’s Confluence Farm on Fergguson Creek with:
Plank Town Brewing and WildCraft Cider Works
Portland Hikes in Forest ParkBeers Made By Walking has partnered with Portland’s Forest Park Conservancy for an ongoing series of monthly hikes with brewers in Forest Park, the largest forested in-city park in the United States. Each month, brewers explore a new trail and create beer inspired by the identified plants. Hike registration goes live one week before each hike. The remaining hikes in the series include:
- June 13, 9am – 12pm – Register Here– Springville Hill with:
Ecliptic Brewing and Hopworks Urban Brewery
- July 17, 12pm – 3pm – Register Here – Cascade Views with:
The Commons Brewery, Hopworks Urban Brewery, and Upright Brewing
- August 22, 9am – 12pm – Register Here – Balch Creek with:
10 Barrel Brewing, Hopworks Urban Brewery, and Widmer Brothers Brewing
- Sept 18, 12pm – 3pm – Register Here – Ancient Forest Preserve with:
Hopworks Urban Brewery and Humble Brewing