This week Last Call with BrewDad we feature a great brewer from Portland Oregon. Whom I had the chance to know back in our Homebrewing days. Alex Ganum from Upright Brewing a terrific brewer and a good friend. Now for the most important 20 questions you will ever need to know answers to. Hoppy Friday…
71. What was your first beer you ever drank?
Probably a Sam Adams Boston lager that I took from my dad’s fridge
82. What was your first Craft Beer you ever had and what did you think?
That same Boston lager. I liked it!
3. How did you get start in brewing? Homebrewer? Etc??? What was the first batch you ever made?
I started homebrewing in 2002. I think my first few batches were random kits and can’t I remember the style, probably an amber and a porter, etc.
4-1. What is your favorite beer you have ever made? And why?
Thinking back to those early homebrewing days I remember a Belgian pale ale I made using yeast propped from a bottle of some quirky Belgian beer I picked up at the Belmont Station. I fermented it upstairs in the summer and it had a quick high temp fermentation that showed a hugely aromatic nose. learning about yeast propagation really turned me on to learning more about brewing.
5c. If you had to live for the rest of your life with only drinking one beer and not one of your own. Who and what beer/brewery?
What a nightmare scenario! I guess I’d pick Sierra Nevada pale ale
6d-1. What is your favorite beer style?
I love nearly every style but typically stay away from Maibocks.
67. If you could create a whole new style of beer what would it be?
998. Favorite sport and team?
NHL Hockey, Detroit Red Wings
9. What is your ultimate session beer?
Any well made Berliner weisse
A) What music do love to listen to while brewing?
Anything loud enough to hear over pumps. usually music with horns.
420. What is the craziest ingredient you have added while brewing?
24. Favorite hop(s)
I love liberty, tettnanger, perle, and willamette,for softer profiles; cascade & columbus for more pungent stuff.
13 What is your go to liquor?
Been drinking lots of Big Bottom whiskey lately
77. Favorite Movie(s)
I love dark comedy’s like The Green Butchers
15. What is your favorite movie Quote?
Can’t think of one right now
0. Are you on twitter (@Twitter name) what is your favorite twitter #hashtag?
17. Morning person or Night person?
44. What is your favorite Hot sauce?
17. If you could ask me BrewDad one question what would it be?
Will I catch you at OBF again this year? I will be in Boston for the Beer Bloggers Conference missing the OBF for the first time in 10 years.