9th Annual Hood River Hops Fest
Note: I am not going to list the breweries nor beers you have to look them up it will make you cry it is so Freaking awesome.
The 9th annual Hood River Hops Fest will be the largest collection of Fresh Hop beers in one place in the world featuring more than 50 different wet hopped brews from more than 37 breweries. Hood River County Chamber of Commerce hosts this hoppy beer lover’s dream that showcases Oregon’s great bounty on Saturday September 29th in downtown Hood River, OR. Fresh hop beers are a scarce commodity native to the Pacific NW where Oregon and Washington are the center of hop farming for the entire world. Made from freshly picked hops before they have been kilned and dried for use throughout the year these “wet” hop beers have a fleeting sticky, resinous, grassy and fresh flavor that is unique to hops picked from the bine and used within hours of harvesting. It is no surprise that Hood River, OR is nestled in the gorge between the two hop growing states would host the largest celebration of fresh hop beers that the country has ever seen.
9th annual Hood River Hops Fest by the numbers:
- 121 Kegs that the Hood River Hops Fest will pour in just 9 hours
- 64 different beers being on tap
- 51 varieties of Fresh Hop beer will be poured at the 2012 Hood River Hops Fest
- 37 Breweries are taking part in the festival
- 8 Gorge area brewers are all participating (Big Horse, Double Mountain, Everybody’s Brewing, Full Sail, Logsdon, Pfriem, Solera and Walking Man)
- 7 Breweries are making a fresh hop beer for the first time (Gigantic, Pfriem, Block 15, Solera, Flat Tail, The Commons and Falling Sky Brewing)
In addition to craft beer you can find:
- Local cuisine from woodfire pizza to American pub grub to vegetarian style dishes.
- Unique arts and crafts vendors from around the Northwest including beer inspired soaps, unique jewelery and handmade pottery.
- A selection of Gorge wines.
- A Kids Zone with face painting and other child friendly activities.
- And a day-long lineup of live music.
Held in a special street pavilion in the heart of downtown Hood River, admission includes commemorative stein, and tasting tokens are sold for a nominal price. The annual event attracts thousands and proceeds support the programs of the Hood River County Chamber of Commerce.
Children are welcome throughout the afternoon until 6pm; The venue is open to adults only until closing at 9pm.
- 20 and under free until 5:30 p.m.
- 21 and over $6.00, which includes beer tasting stein
- $4.00 for wine drinkers and designated drivers
Tokens are $1 each. 4 tokens = a full beer, or 1 token = a taste.