Craft Beer from Farm to Table with Barley’s Angels
Have you been to the hop farms in the past few weeks well they are under a huge transformation as it is fresh hops time. I got the opportunity the other day to attend a terrific event by the Barley’s Angels. From Farm to Table.
Held at the Rogue Hop Farm out in Independence Oregon this event not only taught about hops. They also included the farming or barley, Alchemy of glassware, tasting, making of products, and guiding your own beer tours along with but not least cooking with beer.
The Barley’s Angels made us feel at home and had us in the one of the most beautiful areas in Oregon. Rogue bought this farm a few years ago and has turned this place into quite the beer geek destination. Beer and Bed in other words the Bed and breakfast has now been transformed for us beer geeks. Drink a few pints at the Chatoe, play games on the finely manicured grass and then when it is time to head for bed there is this old 100 year old farm house transformed for the beer tourist to crash. I took the room of many bottles and yes I checked every bottle to see if they where waiting for me to drink. Nope just empties but that’s OK the bed was soft and I got some great sleep.
Here is what we got to learn about while at the event. I found this to be a wonderful day of learning imbibing and tasting.
- Agriculture behind craft beers – hopyard and harvesting facilities tour
- Alchemy of Glassware and Beer
- Palate Trips – Where we take your palate on a ride
- Craft Beer Vacationing
- Craft Beer inBathand Beauty
- Cooking with Beer
Industry Presenters include:
- Julia Herz, Brewers Association Craft Beer Program Director, Certified Cicerone, BJCP Judge, award winning home brewer
- Teri Fahrendorf, award winning Master Brewer, Founder Pink Boots Society, Professional Beer Judge
- Lisa Morrison, author of “Craft Beer of the Pacific Northwest“, Winner of the Michael Jackson Beer Journalism Award, Host of “Beer O’clock” radio program, Journalist. Her presentation
- Tammy Taggart, proprietor and maker of Northwest Brew Bar soaps at Farmland Soap-Gentle soap handcrafted withPacific Northwest world-class beers
- Christine Jump, producer Craft Brew Cast, member Pink Boots Society, new Director of Barley’s Angels, Sponsor of the first ever Barley’s Angels chapter.
All the speakers and attendees where super. I was able to learn a ton about the farm and the products they all make. I was also fortunate to meet a lot of great new beer friends. I raise a pit to the Barley’s Angels and the awesome event.
About Barley’s Angels –
Purpose: Barley’s Angels is a growing collection of individual chapters around the world that work with craft beer focused breweries, brewpubs, restaurants, alehouses and other public beer establishments to advance the female consumer craft beer enthusiast, resulting in increased patronage and revenue from women, while encouraging education and interest in beer among this often under-recognized demographic group.
WHAT WE ARE NOT:
Barley’s Angels is not just a social, beer-drinking club for women. Barley’s Angels respect beer and brewing, have a thirst for education, enjoy beer responsibly and act appropriately at all times.